Header Ads

Houthi Officials Report At Least 74 Killed in U.S. Airstrikes on Yemen Oil Terminal

The U.S. military stated that the attack was intended to cut off supplies and funding to the Iran-backed Houthi forces.
 

US Airstrikes on Yemen Oil Terminal Kill Dozens, Houthis Say

At least 74 people were killed and 171 injured in US airstrikes on the Ras Isa oil terminal on Yemen’s Red Sea coast, according to the Houthi-run health ministry. The facility, controlled by the Iran-backed Houthi movement, was struck late Thursday in what is now the deadliest attack since President Donald Trump intensified air operations last month.

The US military confirmed the strike, saying the terminal was a major fuel source for the Houthis and a revenue stream supporting their operations. It described Ras Isa as a legitimate target used to fund terrorism. In contrast, the Houthi-led government in north-west Yemen condemned the attack as a “war crime,” insisting the port served civilian purposes.

Footage broadcast by Houthi-run Al-Masirah TV showed multiple explosions and large fires, with destroyed fuel tankers at the site, located about 60 km north of the city of Hudaydah. One eyewitness said workers fled as the strikes hit in rapid succession. Al-Masirah also reported that five paramedics were killed in follow-up strikes while responding to the scene.

The reported casualties included many workers at the facility. Though the numbers remain unverified, video footage showed several burned bodies and injured individuals being treated in hospital.

The airstrikes came hours before the Israeli military reported intercepting a missile launched from Yemen. No injuries or damage were reported, though sirens were triggered in several areas.

Thousands of people rallied in Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, on Friday to protest the strikes, while the US military’s Central Command defended the operation, stating its goal was to weaken the Houthis’ ability to finance attacks and import weapons.

Iran condemned the US action as “barbaric,” and Houthi leader Abdul Malik al-Houthi gave a defiant speech, claiming nearly 80 operations had been launched by his group since mid-March, including attacks on US and Israeli targets.

Yemen has endured a brutal civil war for over a decade, with the Houthis controlling the northwest since 2014. A Saudi-led coalition, backed by the US, has tried to restore the internationally recognized government. The conflict has killed more than 150,000 people and displaced millions.

Since November 2023, the Houthis have attacked numerous commercial vessels in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden, claiming to act in solidarity with Palestinians amid the Israel-Gaza conflict. The group says it targets only ships linked to Israel, the US, or the UK, though many claims have been disputed.

Despite previous US and allied strikes, the Houthis have continued their operations. After taking office in January, Trump reclassified the group as a “Foreign Terrorist Organization,” a designation the Biden administration had previously removed to ease the humanitarian crisis.

Trump recently warned of severe retaliation if the Houthis continued their actions and also cautioned Iran against arming the group—an accusation Tehran denies. Meanwhile, Israel has also conducted airstrikes on Houthi targets in response to missile and drone attacks launched from Yemen.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.