Israel's Security Cabinet Greenlights Strategy to Seize Control of Gaza, Official Reports
![]() |
| The Israeli military has mobilized tens of thousands of reservists, stating that the move is intended to intensify pressure on Hamas |
Israel Approves Expanded Military Campaign to Take Control of Gaza, Says Official
Israel’s security cabinet has sanctioned an intensified military strategy against Hamas, which reportedly involves seizing control of Gaza and maintaining a long-term presence in the territory, according to an Israeli government source.
The plan also involves relocating much of Gaza’s 2.1 million residents to the south, a move that humanitarian groups warn could further exacerbate an already dire crisis.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu described the initiative as a “strong plan” aimed at achieving two main objectives: dismantling Hamas and securing the return of hostages still held by the group, the official stated.
As part of the broader strategy, the cabinet gave preliminary approval to a new method of humanitarian aid delivery—relying on private sector logistics to bypass what Israel says is Hamas’s exploitation of international relief. This would lift a two-month aid blockade that the United Nations says has led to severe food shortages across Gaza. However, UN agencies and other humanitarian organizations have condemned the proposal, calling it a violation of basic humanitarian norms and vowing not to participate.
Hamas criticized the Israeli approach as “political extortion.”
The decision came during a Sunday evening meeting of Netanyahu’s security cabinet, following the collapse of a previous ceasefire on March 18. On Monday, an Israeli official told reporters that all ministers had unanimously endorsed the plan presented by IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir, which aims to neutralize Hamas and recover remaining hostages.
“The operation will involve taking physical control of the Gaza Strip, relocating the population for their safety, targeting Hamas’s supply chain, and launching intensified strikes on Hamas infrastructure,” the official elaborated.
Israeli media indicated that the campaign could unfold over several months, beginning with the occupation of more territory and the expansion of a buffer zone along Gaza’s periphery. This is also seen as a tactic to boost Israel’s negotiating power in any future ceasefire or hostage deal.
Cabinet member Zeev Elkin told Israel’s Kan broadcaster there was still a “narrow opportunity” to negotiate a hostage release before the end of U.S. President Trump's mid-May Middle East trip—if Hamas recognizes Israel’s resolve.
During a visit to a naval facility on Sunday, Lt. Gen. Zamir announced the mobilization of tens of thousands of reservists to reinforce the upcoming operations. “We are stepping up the pressure with one goal: to bring our people back and eliminate Hamas. We will target more zones and dismantle all terrorist networks, both on the surface and underground,” he said.
Yet skepticism persists. Critics argue the strategy has so far failed to produce results, noting that no hostages have been freed in the six weeks since operations resumed.
The Hostages and Missing Families Forum accused the government of prioritizing territorial gains over saving lives, claiming this contradicts the wishes of most Israeli citizens.
The cabinet also endorsed a plan—subject to further discussion—to reroute aid delivery in a way that would deny Hamas access to the supplies and dismantle its administrative control, according to the Israeli official.
But the Humanitarian Country Team (HCT), a coalition of UN agencies and partners, warned that Israel’s aid strategy would dismantle the existing relief system and place civilians at greater risk. The group said the plan demands UN agencies accept Israeli-controlled distribution from hubs under military oversight—conditions they find unacceptable.
The HCT cautioned that the proposal could leave large parts of Gaza, including vulnerable and immobile people, without essentials, accusing Israel of turning aid into a tool of military coercion.
The team said, “This approach violates core humanitarian principles, endangers civilians and aid workers, and deepens the crisis of forced displacement.”
![]() |
| Community kitchens in Gaza report they are just days away from exhausting their supplies |
Israel shut down all humanitarian access to Gaza on March 2. The UN now warns that Gaza faces renewed threats of starvation, with food stocks depleted, bakeries closed, and communal kitchens nearing shutdown.
Medical supplies have also been cut off, crippling the already overstretched health sector. According to the UN, Israel is legally responsible for ensuring the well-being of Gaza’s residents—almost all of whom have been forced from their homes. Israel insists it is operating within international legal boundaries and claims no aid shortage exists.
The latest escalation comes after the October 7, 2023, Hamas-led attack that left around 1,200 Israelis dead and 251 taken hostage. Since then, Gaza’s health authorities—run by Hamas—report that over 52,500 people have been killed in the territory, including nearly 2,500 since Israel resumed its offensive.


No comments